Home Health Care Planning
Planning for Your Home Health Care Needs Now Will
Give You Peace of Mind and Act as a Valuable Guide
For Your Caregiver and Family Members...
One of the biggest mistakes people make is not planning ahead for their health care as they are aging. You must get organized and get certain important documents in place to protect yourself and insure your desires are carried out in case of severe illness or disability. Just this one step of planning now can save you years of frustration and aggravation later on in your life.
You should take a large 3-ring binder for each individual in the household and use it as your Health Care notebook. Some of the basic information you can enter into this notebook would be the following:
- Your full name and address
- Your date of birth and location
- All the telephone numbers for family, loved ones and neighbors
- List of doctors, mental care professionals, nurses, caregivers and their phone numbers
- Preferred hospitals
- Location of important documents: Location of wills, long term care policy, power of attorney, advanced directives, etc.
- Medical bills: keep a file of all medical bills, when they were paid, any disputes, etc.
- List of all medications you are currently taking
- Contact information for Pharmacies used
- List of any allergies you have to medications, foods, etc. and your reactions to each if you remember them
- Your entire health history including surgeries performed and when, illnesses and dates of diagnosis, mental health history, health habits such as smoking, and any other data relating to your health that you feel would come in handy for a caregiver or a doctor to know about you
- Emergency contact information in case of illness or an accident
- Health insurance policy numbers and where they can be found along with name, address and phone numbers for insurance agents
- Name of church, synagogue or mosque with name of pastor, rabbi or priest along with phone numbers to contact them
- Name and telephone number for local ambulance service
- Name and numbers for any local transportation services you use
- List of banks where you have accounts and/or safe deposit boxes
- Stock brokers with account numbers and contact information
- Names of accountants and lawyers and contact information for each
- Pet care services for care of your pets in case you are hospitalized including the name of veterinarians, pet sitters, etc.
- Home maintenance contractors used for yard work, heating and air conditioning, appliance repair, etc.
- A simple calendar to use to keep track of doctor’s appointments, labs, tests, reorder dates for medicines, and any other information to keep you on track with various necessary activities
This will give you a good start on the records you should have filed and ready in case of any emergencies or sudden change in health status. Having a notebook such as this will give you peace of mind that your wishes and desires will be respected if a change in health takes place.
Some of you reading this will not understand certain terms so we have given more details on the following records we recommend you have in place. You can simply click on the document name and you will be taken to another page on home health care with the details you need.
Last Will and Testament
Power of Attorney / Durable Power of Attorney
Leave Home Health Care Planning Page to Return to Planning in Advance Page